Enter The Overview – all my personal projects gathered together
The Overview lets me zoom out from a single personal project and see issues from across my whole profile in one place. I think of Scrum of Scrums – this is a project of projects. The objectives are as follows:
- Easy to view all workflows together
- A landing page for, What to work on
- Cross pollinate planning approaches
How's it going?
Feels good so far. I've made visible everything already in flight (see Ensure all existing issues are visible in The Overview – LL782 #2) and I'm getting some great insights already.
- It's easier to rank priorities of issues of different projects when they are all listed together
- There's a Marie Kondo thing – put everything into one pile and the absurdity of how much you have becomes clear
- I've deleted or archived a bunch of repos without much hesitation. It's easier to refine scope from this long view
- Lots of the repos I considered important did't have projects or milestones until I did this
- There is manual effort required to ensure all issues get visiblility in The Overview
- I haven't done high level planning on most of the projects before now
- Repos are not projects – the terms shouldn't be used interchangeably
- Should I continue to maintain individual projects on a repository level?
- Is this going to help me get more done or is it a distraction? The old procrastination question
- I hope to measure the success of this by seeing a few of the projects mature and progress